Busy Day

I'm quoting my son's blog, when I say that "it's 2:20 am, and I'm sitting at my computer. What a dumbass." I'm also quoting my son when I say that, "for reasons unknown to me, I'm really wired." I have been relentlessly running my little engine since about 6:43 am yesterday, when Magic awoke me by doing the "fwap fwap" (that means shaking his head really fast) right in front of my sleeping face. Needless to say, that aroused me right away. Luckily, my beautfiul Cuisinart programmable coffee grinder/maker was ready, set, and on its mark, so coffee was pouring into the carafe by the time I found my slippers and shuffled to the kitchen.

I finished the first cup in relative peace, sitting on my back porch and enjoying the sounds of summer waking up to another beautiful day (I love Michigan this year!) But by the time my eyes had finally opened all the way, my brain had shifted into overdrive, and I was itching to get the day underway. Since school is out, Monday is a "day off" for me. So, here's what I did on my day off:

  • Made my husband some breakfast and made a quick sweep of email and blog friends while he ate;
  • After he left for work (finally!), swept and washed the kitchen floor and scrubbed the bathroom;
  • Stripped the sheets off the bed and threw them in the washer;
  • Started thinking about haiku for this week's prompt at One Deep Breath (ODB);
  • Hung the sheets on the line in the backyard;
  • Drove to FitZone for Women and exercised for one hour;
  • (Took One Deep Breath);
  • Made lunch at home and took my (healthy) tuna on lettuce with tomatoes and a hard boiled egg to the patio and read three chapters of Poemcrazy while I ate;
  • Had a piece of my mom's homemade apple pie for dessert (so long healthy lunch and exercise);
  • Hoovered ( I like this so much better than saying "vaccumed," and I do use a Hoover) the whole house;
  • (Took One Deep Breath);
  • Drove my mom and I to the market where I shopped for fresh fruit, veggies, and some treats for my work lunch tomorrow;
  • Finished three of my haiku for aforementioned ODB;
  • Tossed in one more load of laundry;
  • Transcribed a tape of dictation from my boss;
  • (Took One Deep Breath);
  • Finished up three more haiku for ODB; responded to emails from blog friends;
  • Prepared dinner (homemade pizza, one half with the works, the other half veggies only);
  • Finished one last haiku for ODB;
  • Took all laundry off the line; dressed the bed with sweet smelling sheets;
  • (Took One Deep Breath);
  • Husband's home - eat dinner with him and feed dogs;
  • Try in vain to get a picture to post on blog; finally give up and post all haiku (pictureless) on ODB;
  • (Took...)
  • Clean up the kitchen, water all the flowers, and finally get the mail;
  • At last, sit on the backporch with a cold chardonnay, watch the fireflies come out, and get some really great thoughts about a poem...

So here I am, several deep breaths later, still typing away. And, it's only four more hours until that Cuisinart coffee maker goes "click" and a new day begins...